Recovery has bypassed Limerick’s unemployment blackspots

first_imgNewsLocal NewsRecovery has bypassed Limerick’s unemployment blackspotsBy Alan Jacques – June 24, 2017 1216 Facebook Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Linkedin Advertisementcenter_img Email LATEST unemployment figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) indicate that the economic recovery has bypassed many Limerick communities with the city and county topping the list of unemployment blackspots in Ireland.79 blackspots were identified by the CSO, with Limerick accounting for 18 of them, including Ballynanty, Kileely, Prospect, Galvone, Rathbane, Singland, Shannon Banks and Rathkeale.And, according to local Sinn Féin TD Maurice Quinlivan, the latest figures highlight just how out of touch Fine Gael is with what is going on outside of Dublin.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “There were 79 unemployment blackspots where more than 27 per cent of the workforce were out of a job last April. 18 of them were in Limerick and eight of the ten worst blackspots were in Limerick City,” he explained.“These figures are stark, and haven’t moved down in years. This is more than Dublin, Cork and Galway cities combined which is truly shocking. This paints a grim picture of the unemployment problem in many parts of Limerick, which is not being reflected by government statistics.”He said that while jobs were being created, it was clear that some areas were benefitting while others continued to suffer from a lack of jobs and opportunities.“The average unemployment rate in these areas of Limerick stood at 35.7 per cent, miles away from the national average of 12.9 per cent.“Last year Fine Gael’s campaign slogan was ‘Keep the Recovery Going’. These statistics show that no recovery has arrived in certain parts of the country. Many of those still unemployed are former construction workers, and this section of the workforce needs particular focus.”He claimed that apprenticeship scheme are limited and expansion is needed to allow workers to up-skill.“Clearly government intervention is needed, and the two newly appointed Ministers with responsibility for employment, need to get a grip on this and ensure the next set of figures show a marked improvement.”Meanwhile, Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Social Protection, Willie O’Dea believes that the Government needs to redouble their efforts in Limerick’s Regeneration areas to create more social programmes and get people back to work.“The Government will have to reexamine the regeneration programme and put more focus into the social aspect of the areas affected such as providing employment programmes to get people back to work. Increased housing and improvements in the physical infrastructure of Regeneration areas are very welcome, but there has to be a focus on providing people with employment and the Government need to redouble their efforts in this regard,” Deputy O’Dea told the Limerick Post.“With eight of the ten worst unemployment black spots in the country, we cannot ignore this problem and it should serve as a wake-up call for the government.“An inter-agency jobs task force should be established to work with Regeneration in Limerick to create jobs and provide education and training opportunities for people in these areas,” he concluded.by Alan [email protected] Print TAGSFianna FáilKeep The Recovery GoinglimerickMaurice Quinlivan TDSinn FeinunemploymentWillie O’Dea TD WhatsApp Previous article#WATCH Summer solstice celebrated in dawn ceremony at Lough GurNext articleUL start-up scoops top prize at Enterprise awards Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clashlast_img read more

Read More →

Editorial: Indiana Deserves an Open Discussion on Utility’s Coal-Refurbishing Plan

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享From the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette:So many important decisions about Indiana’s future are made without the public discussion and debate they merit. I&M’s plan to refurbish its giant power plant in Rockport, Indiana, is one of them.The Sierra Club, which leads a national campaign to replace coal-fired utility plants with cleaner energy sources, has suggested alternatives to I&M’s multi-billion-dollar plan, which Sierra says will allow the utility to continue to use coal for all its electrical generation until at least 2035. The environmental group maintains that alternative investments in solar and wind power and energy-efficiency programs could allow I&M to shut down one of the two Rockport facilities by 2022 without raising rates or jeopardizing the availability of electricity.Environmentalists focus on the Rockport facility because it is a big polluter – one of the biggest sources of toxic pollution in Indiana. Though I&M plans to introduce new controls to reduce sulfur dioxide at the plant, environmentalists point out that coal is an inherently dirty power source and that many other harmful substances are emitted when it burns.Sierra’s analysis of data released by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency contends that, in 2014, I&M’s two Rockport plants released 5.9 million pounds of toxic pollutants into the surrounding area, including arsenic, mercury and lead.“Experts at the Clean Air Task Force estimated in 2014 that AEP Rockport’s air pollution causes 130 premature deaths, 200 heart attacks and 2,200 asthma attacks every year,” the Sierra Club reported on its website.That pollution and those health problems, of course, don’t directly threaten Fort Wayne. But 32 miles east of Evansville on the shore of the Ohio River, the Rockport plant provides a key part of what I&M calls its “generation mix” that allows the company to ensure affordable power to all of its service area. Thus, customers here have a direct interest in Rockport’s operations and plans.No one wants to cause future power shortages or rate spikes. But there is the question of whether a future built on continued reliance on the coal industry, where costs are rising and production is dropping as the world moves toward cleaner and more sustainable power sources, is wise policy. And how do the health effects of years of continuing pollution in southern Indiana figure into the economic and moral equations? If the Rockport plant is causing death and disease, as the Sierra Club contends, shouldn’t the human cost of that continuing damage be part of the calculations on how to proceed?Full item: I&M must continue clean-energy momentum Editorial: Indiana Deserves an Open Discussion on Utility’s Coal-Refurbishing Planlast_img read more

Read More →

‘Having a voice is very important’: Vestal stakeholders improve the town they love

first_imgThis meeting was part of a series of meetings mandated by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. Cuomo signed an executive order back in June requiring municipal police departments to hold meetings with the community to “increase the effectiveness of the criminal justice system”. Lynn Parker, who owns a business in the town, said he wasn’t surprised the meetings were productive given the close-knit nature of Vestal. “Any apprehension that I might have had personally going into this was immediately wiped away,” Lt. Streno told 12 News. “It’s a nice varied demographic of people from different backgrounds, different ages, different walks of life, different life experiences, so in my opinion it turned out to be a really good community stakeholder committee.” VESTAL (WBNG) — On Thursday, the Vestal Police Department met with community stakeholders to build stronger ties in the town.center_img While initially skeptical of this process, Lieutenant Christopher Streno said he was blown away by the community’s openness and willingness to learn. “Vestal is a very positive community. There’s a lot going on in the community, we’re very supportive of each other,” Parker said.last_img read more

Read More →

Hertha Berlin Coach in no Hurry Play Tousart

first_imgJust days later, both the Champions League and French league ground to a halt due to the Covid-19 pandemic.Hertha paid around €25 million for the France under-21 defensive midfielder.The 23-year-old is technically under contract with Lyon until the end of June, but the French league have abandoned their campaign, due to the coronavirus pandemic.Tousart, who has not played competitive football since early March, underwent a fitness test in Berlin on Saturday.Labbadia implied that Hertha will not rush him into action with only three rounds of matches remaining in the Bundesliga, which is due to finish in a fortnight’s time.The German league became the first top European league to resume in mid-May after a two-months hiatus.Hertha were hammered 4-1 at home behind closed doors by Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday which keeps them in mid-table.According to Labbadia, it could be that Tousart will not play “for up to four months in a row”, with the 2020/21 German league season now due to start in mid-September, rather than August, because of the coronavirus crisis.“This is almost equivalent to a major, serious injury. We won’t underestimate that,” added Labbadia, who was appointed Hertha boss in April when Jurgen Klinsmann quit after just a few months in charge.Tousart, who was reportedly also being courted by Tottenham Hotspur, RB Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich, was one of four signings Hertha made when they spent around €80 million in January.Poland forward Krzysztof Piatek, who scored in Saturday’s defeat to Frankfurt, came from AC Milan, Brazil under-23 striker Matheus Cunha from Leipzig and Argentina midfielder Santiago Ascacibar from Stuttgart.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Hertha Berlin coach Bruno Labbadia has said that they are in no hurry to give a Bundesliga debut to new recruit Lucas Tousart, who has barely played since scoring for Lyon against Juventus in the Champions League in February.“We must not forget that he hasn’t played a game for well over two and a half months,” said Labbadia, who met with Tousart in Berlin on Sunday.Tousart, who joined Hertha from Lyon in January and was loaned back to the French club, scored the winner in a shock 1-0 win over Cristiano Ronaldo’s Juventus in the last 16, first-leg of the Champions Leaguelast_img read more

Read More →