Governor Wolf Announces Introduction of “It’s On Us PA” Legislation

first_imgGovernor Wolf Announces Introduction of “It’s On Us PA” Legislation SHARE Email Facebook Twitter September 06, 2017center_img Education,  It’s On Us PA,  Press Release,  Public Safety Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf joined legislators, advocates, and students today to announce the upcoming introduction of a package of six bills as part of his “It’s On Us PA” campaign to combat sexual violence in K-12 schools and on college and university campuses.“This legislation is the result of students, parents, advocates, education leaders, and people across the commonwealth working together to improve reporting and response standards for sexual assault,” said Governor Wolf. “We are making progress to combat sexual violence, and these proposals will ensure that all Pennsylvania students have the information, resources, and supports they need.”“It’s On Us PA” launched last year as the first statewide campaign to address sexual assault in schools and on college campuses and builds on the national “It’s On Us” movement. Thousands of Pennsylvanians, including superintendents and university and college presidents signed the “It’s On Us” Pledge, which encourages everyone to help end sexual assault.Since the campaign began in January 2016, the Governor and members of his administration have engaged hundreds of students, educators, administrators, advocates, healthcare personnel, researchers, campus safety and law enforcement officials, and policymakers to identify opportunities for improving systems to address and prevent sexual violence in schools and on campuses in Pennsylvania. This legislative package is the result of those conversations.The six bills would:Expand the scope, authority, and capacity of the Office for Safe Schools within the Department of Education to support both K-12 and postsecondary institutions, as well as monitor compliance with existing federal and state requirements related to sexual violence prevention and response. (HB1752 sponsored by Rep. Karen Boback and SB870 sponsored by Sen. Vincent Hughes)Publish an annual report card on sexual violence and harassment in K-12 and postsecondary institutions using existing data reported to the Department and/or other publicly reported data. (HB1753 sponsored by Rep. Brian Sims and SB871)Create a consolidated, comprehensive anti-violence and anti-harassment policy for K-12 schools that aligns requirements related to bullying, hazing, sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating violence, and other issues. (HB1754 sponsored by Rep. Dan Miller and SB872)Require postsecondary institutions adopt affirmative consent standards for responding to allegations of sexual violence, and expand K-12 health education standards to explicitly address areas of consent and healthy relationships in middle and high school. (HB1755 sponsored by Rep. Mary Jo Daley and SB873 sponsored by Sen. Anthony Williams)Require that postsecondary institutions offer online, anonymous reporting options for students as part of their required reporting and response systems under federal and state law. (HB1756 sponsored by Rep. Dan Frankel and SB874 sponsored by Sen. Lisa Baker)Establish amnesty policies protecting students who report sexual assault to postsecondary institutions from being disciplined for other policy violations, such as drug and alcohol use. (HB1757 sponsored by Rep. Madeleine Dean and SB875 sponsored by Sen. Judy Schwank)Cosponsorship memos for these bills have been circulated in the House and the Senate, and Governor Wolf encourages members in both chambers to sign on and support these important measures.“Students at colleges and universities throughout Pennsylvania are starting a new year, and that’s why it’s important we reaffirm our pledge to combat sexual violence through the It’s On Us campaign,” said Sen. Judy Schwank. “Sexual violence is never OK and we must work together as individuals and communities to end it.”“Pennsylvania’s students deserve to learn in spaces free from violence,” said Rep. Karen Boback. “These initiatives will ensure our educational institutions have the necessary tools to enforce state and federal guidelines relating to sexual violence prevention and response.”“Sadly, most instances of sexual violence go unreported to campus officials or to the police,” said Rep. Madeleine Dean. “Providing amnesty for incidental infractions-like drinking-to those who come forward will help survivors and bystanders give voice to this scourge. Ensuring a safe environment is a vital part of providing a good education.”“Since the launch of “It’s On Us PA” in 2016, it has been heartening to see schools across Pennsylvania step up and take the pledge to fight sexual assault on campus and support survivors,” said Randi Teplitz, chair of the Pennsylvania Commission for Women. “We are proud to stand with Governor Wolf today as he announces the next steps for his “It’s On Us” legislative package, which will ensure students are provided the highest levels of protection from sexual violence.”In addition to these legislative initiatives, the governor secured $1 million in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 budgets for evidence-based prevention, reporting, and response systems to address campus sexual assault. This past year, 36 postsecondary institutions across Pennsylvania were awarded grants, reaching more than 87,000 students and 16,000 professional staff through awareness and training programs, improved reporting systems, and other critical supports for survivors and campus community members.last_img read more

Read More →

Australia rout New Zealand by 247 runs, win series

first_imgMelbourne: Nathan Lyon and James Pattinson kept Tom Blundell’s brilliant hundred in a shade to help Australia win the second Test by 247 runs and take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match rubber against New Zealand on the fourth day at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) here on Sunday.Chasing a stiff 488 for victory, New Zealand was reduced to 35/3 as Pattinson (3/35) claimed three wickets in nine balls including the one of skipper Kane Williamson for a duck.Blundell, who could have been lbw in the first over, then staged a stupendous fightback with 121 off 210 balls (15×4) before Marnus Labuschagne had him caught behind by Australia skipper Tim Paine to win the game. Trent Boult was absent hurt as the Kiwis were bowled out for 240.Blundell shared a 54-run stand with Henry Nicholls (33) and then joined hands with stumper batsman BJ Watling (22) for a 72-run association on Sunday but Nathan Lyon (4/81) dismissed both of them and also accounted for Colin de Grandhomme (9) and Mitchell Santner (27) to shave off the visitors’ lower order and end any slim hopes of a comeback.Earlier, Pattinson was on a roll as he nabbed three Kiwi batsman in a stirring spell of fast bowling after Aussies declared on 168/5.Blundell then delayed the hosts’ triumph with counterattacking batting and along with Nicholls and Watling showed a semblance of a fight. But once those two stands were broken, it was only a matter of time as stretched their unbeaten run against trans-Tasman neighbors to 25 years.The Aussies had thrashed Williamson’s team by 296 runs in the Day-Night opener in Perth.The bulwark of Aussies’ victory was built around Travis Head’s 114 with helping hands from Steve Smith (85) and Labuschagne (63). The hosts put up 467 on the board in the first innings as Kiwi pacer Tim Southee scalped six wickets. The hosts later bundled out New Zealand for just 148 runs to take a healthy 319-run lead as Aussie pacer Pat Cummins emerged with impressive figures of 5/28 while James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc picked three and two wickets respectively, putting their side in commanding position.The two sides will now square-off for the final time in the rubber from January 3 at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) in Sydney.Brief scores: Australia 467 and 168/5(d) beat New Zealand 148 and 240-all out (Tom Blundell 121, Henry Nicholls 33; Nathan Lyon 4/81) by 247 runs. IANSAlso Read: Neil Wagner becomes 2nd fastest New Zealand, bowlerAlso Watch: Anti-CAA protests: AASU and Artistes Society of Assam jointly conducts protest meeting in Sualkuchilast_img read more

Read More →

Fury will not face Wilder ‘until October or November’, says Frank Warren

first_imgPROMOTER Frank Warren has ruled out the possibility of Tyson Fury facing Anthony Joshua in an undisputed heavyweight fight later this year.Fury is contractually obliged to face Wilder in a trilogy fight after his stunning seventh-round knockout victory over the American in February.Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, had mooted the idea of step-aside money being offered to Wilder to enable the British pair to meet for all the heavyweight belts this year.“No offers have been made,” Warren told punching.tv. “As far as Tyson’s concerned no offers whatsoever have been made to Wilder or his team.“At the moment, there is a contract in place that has to be honoured.”Fury was set to rematch Wilder in Las Vegas in July before the coronavirus outbreak, with the bout now unlikely to take place “until October or November”, according to Warren.“I hope it does (happen). For the sake of British sport and British boxing,” Warren said of a potential clash with Joshua. ”It’s something everybody wants to see happen. I want to see it happen because we’ve all got opinions on who we think we feel will win.“I feel that Tyson has the beating of him as I always felt from day one that Tyson always had the beating of Deontay Wilder – and was proved twice – albeit the first fight he didn’t get the decision – he was cheated.“I think if we can get them in the ring the same thing will happen with AJ. I think Tyson has the beating of him as well.”( The Independent)`.last_img
Read More →