21 journalists held, making Iran the biggest prison for journalists in the Middle East

first_imgNews August 1, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 21 journalists held, making Iran the biggest prison for journalists in the Middle East After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists News February 25, 2021 Find out more Organisation Help by sharing this information June 9, 2021 Find out more March 18, 2021 Find out more News to go furthercenter_img Receive email alerts Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 RSF_en IranMiddle East – North Africa News Follow the news on Iran Amid continuing clamour about the death of photojournalist Zahra Kazemi while in custody at the start of July, Reporters Without Borders today voiced concern about the imprisonment of a total of 21 journalists in very harsh conditions in Iran, many of them in a wave of arrests in the past few weeks.Secretary-general Robert Ménard said at least 14 journalists have been arrested in the space of a month, and in most cases the families have received no word about those detained. “Those lucky enough to have been freed have talked of very harsh conditions of detention, psychological pressure and mistreatment,” Ménard said.He stressed that the organisation is very worried about the fact that half of the detained journalists are being held by aides of Tehran state prosecutor Said Mortazavi and by revolutionary guards in the same centre where Kazemi, a photographer with Canadian and Iranian citizenship, received the blows to the head that caused her death.The latest to be detained include Abolgasem Golbaf, editor of the monthly Gozarech, who was arrested on 20 July for “propaganda against the regime and publishing incorrect information.” Three members of the newspaper’s staff, illustrator Arash Noporchian and journalists Mohammad-Amin Golbaf and Nader Karimi, were also arrested on 26 July and were then freed two or three days later.Hossein Bastani, Vahid Pour-Ostad and Said Razavi Faghi, three members of the editorial staff of the reformist daily Yass-e No, and Chahram Mohamadi-Nia, editor of the weekly Vaght, were summoned for questioning by the Tehran public prosecutor on 11 and 12 July and were then imprisoned. Yass-e No had published a note on 10 July explaining that it had prepared a detailed report on the 9 July demonstrations but had received orders from the intelligence ministry not to publish it.Accused of publishing “an improper photo and article,” Mohamadi-Nia was jailed after failing to pay bail of 100 million rials (about 11,000 euros). Bastani, Pour-Ostad and Mohamadi-Nia were released between 16 and 20 July, but Faghi is still being held, as is freelance journalist Arash Salehi, who was arrested on a Tehran street. Iraj Jamshidi, the editor of the economic daily Asia, was arrested together with his wife, managing editor Saghi Baghernia, on 6 July for “publicity against the regime” after publishing a photograph of People’s Mujahideen leader Maryam Rajavi the day before. Baghernia was released on bail the following day, but Jamshidi was put in Evin prison in Tehran and was then moved to an undisclosed location. Ismail Jamshidi, editor of Gardon (a monthly that has been closed by the authorities), was detained 7 July. Since then, there has been no word of him.Ensafali Hedayat, a journalist in Salam, was released on 12 July after spending 27 days in solitary confinement in the main prison of Tabriz. In a letter to President Mohammad Khatami, he said he was beaten by senior police officials while detained. He said he was lucky not to have suffered the same fate as Zahra Kazemi.The relatives and lawyers of four journalists thought to be detained by revolutionary guards – Taghi Rahmani of Omid-e-Zangan (detained on 14 June), Reza Alijani of Iran-e-Farda (detained on 14 June), Hoda Saber of Iran-e-Farda (detained on 14 June) and freelancer Amir Teirani (detained on 16 June) – have received no word of them since the moment of their detention.Abas Abdi of Salam (who was arrested on 4 November 2002 and is being held in solitary confinement) Ali-Reza Jabari of Adineh (arrested on 17 March) and Siamak Pourzand (arrested on 30 March) described the illnesses, mistreatment and psychological pressure to which they are subjected in letters recently published in the Iranian press. IranMiddle East – North Africa Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalistslast_img read more

Read More →

Le Cordon Bleu patisserie courses attract more men

first_imgRenowned culinary school Le Cordon Bleu London has noted a dramatic rise in the number of men applying for patisserie courses year on year. In the past six months, in particular, the number of men showing interest in the diploma in patisserie has increased. Demand has been so high that the culinary arts institute has introduced a number of new courses to satiate applicants.Programmes such as Cake Decorating, Breakfast Baking and Mastering Macaroons are no on offer for people to attend Le Cordon Bleu for one-day workshops. They are said to reach capacity within a fortnight of being announced.Alan Swinson, culinary arts director at the school, believes there are several reason for the increase. He said: “Our reputation means the number of students applying for the Patisserie Diploma has always been high, but the trend has typically seen more females opting for the course. In the past 12 to 24 months, there has been a noticeable shift in the trend – and it is one which shows no sign of slowing down.”André Cointreau, president and chief executive of Le Cordon Bleu, said: “The reputation of Le Cordon Bleu has endured as a result of our ceaseless dedication to ensuring our programmes meet the ever-changing needs of the industry.”In an increasingly competitive marketplace, both men and women want to be trained to the very highest standards. We are delighted to see an increase in men applying for our Patisserie Diplomas both here in the UK and internationally – it is testament to the positive change in attitudes.”last_img read more

Read More →

Due to feces in the sea, Ston oysters are infected with the norovirus. The event “Days of Mali Ston oysters” canceled

first_imgTraces of oyster farming in the Mali Ston Bay have existed since the period of Roman rule in this area. The first written documents on shellfish hunting date from the 16th century, and on breeding from the 17th century, records from the time of the Dubrovnik Republic. But today, the “modern man” has managed to make it worse. Who is to blame and how this incident came about is likely to determine the establishment of a special Committee and Commission to deliberate in the coming years and no one will be to blame, as is most often the case. It is best to import oysters and we have solved the problem. As it is pointed out in the part of the waters of the Mali Ston Bay, the presence of Noro virus has been determined in about 30% of seawater and shellfish quality samples. Veterinary inspection confirmed norovirus at three of the five checkpoints, which is highly contagious and most commonly spreads through food or water contaminated with feces during preparation. “Having in mind any health problems that could arise from the consumption of thermally untreated shells, a joint decision was made by the organizers to cancel the aforementioned part of the event.” conclude from the Ston Tourist Board. Photo: Municipality of Ston Due to the feces in the sea, ie the large presence of the Noro virus in the sea in the Ston Bay, one of our TOP events – the Days of the Mali Ston Oyster – was canceled. It is also a big blow to the already weak local economy of the Municipality of Stona, which is keeping its head above water through oyster production and tourism. From oyster growers, restaurants, and thus tourism, everyone will unfortunately bear the consequences, I just hope they will not be long-term. ‘You need to know that one bacterium in the sea means that the concentration in the shell is 20 times higher. These are bacterial bombs, a very serious matter. One should not play with it and one should not eat oysters while so. I’m sorry for the producers, the caterers, the people who love oysters, but that’s the way it is. We screwed ourselves up. It is, of course, the cause, the faeces, it’s all from the mainland’, says Onofri.  center_img Senior Scientific Adviser at the Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, University of Dubrovnik Vlado Onofri, for Free Dalmatia comments on the new situation with oysters in Mali Ston Bay and connects it with unresolved fecal drainage. “As part of the celebration of the festival of St. Joseph and the Day of the Oyster of Mali Ston, organized by TZO Ston, the Municipality of Ston and the Association of Ston shellfish planned part of the folk festival March 16.3.2019, XNUMX. on the waterfront in Mali Ston for prevention this year was canceled ” report from the Ston Tourist Board. “We shit the sea too”- says a colleague sitting next to me as I write this article. And really, the question arises as to how incapable and careless we must be to bring ourselves into such a position. Especially in the case of Mali Ston Bay which should be at the highest level of protection. We managed to endanger the Mali Ston oyster, which should have been our brand and pride for a long time, because it is made in a top delicacy and aphrodisiac. The reason for the whole story is, of course, not the strategic development of tourism, both on our entire coast and in Ston. Where does all the money from tourism go, if not to the arrangement of cities and municipalities? It is tragic that nowadays, with successful tourism, for decades we have had a problem with sewage, water drainage, electricity… all the basic infrastructural problems. During the tourist season due to the excessive load on the entire infrastructure that cannot withstand the pressure, the city infrastructure cracks at the seams. So the sewer network can withstand the local population, but when you add to that same drain and capacity, hundreds of new apartments and thousands of new residents during the tourist season then everything breaks down. In this case, everything shoots up and goes into the sea that we polluted. TZ Ston How did we get into this situation? Shame. Passionately. Continue string…last_img read more

Read More →

Ancient culinary specialties were presented as part of the Lošinj Cuisine Festival

first_imgBy the way, on April 27, the people of Lošinj celebrate “Apoxyomenos’ birthday”, ie the day when the ancient bronze statue of the athlete Apoxyomenos was taken out of the seabed in 1999. On this occasion, the Museum of Apoxyomenos will open its doors free of charge to all visitors (from 10 am to 18 pm). Also, on April 30, 2019, an athletics race will be held in honor of the famous Lošinj bronze resident. Source / photo: The ministry of tourism; Mali Lošinj Tourist Board These are two menus, fish and meat with three courses and a glass of wine. Apart from the famous mythical triad (grain, olives and wine), the foods and spices in the recipes of Lošinj’s cuisine are precisely those that have been confirmed to have been in use in ancient Greece. You can find more about the event HERE. Restaurants that participate in the Festival and where you can try the specialties are: Restaurant Artatore, Inn Baracuda, Restaurant Bocca Vera, Tavern Bonifačić, Tavern Cigale, Deveron gastro pub, Restaurant Diana, Restaurant Eki, Restaurant Marina, Restaurant Poljana, Restaurant Punta, Tavern Silvana, Restaurant Televrin, Restaurant Veli žal and Restaurant Za Kantuni. „13. Lošinj Cuisine Festival “organized by the City of Mali Lošinj and the Tourist Board of the City of Mali Lošinj, 15 Lošinj restaurants, 3 winemakers and students of Ambroz Haračić High School on Malološinj Square today presented specialties from foods used in antiquity. From April 15 to May 25, 25, 2019 Lošinj catering facilities will offer these same specialties to their guests, reports the Ministry of Tourism. The opening of this year’s “13. Festivities of Lošinj cuisine “will be held as part of the” KeyQ + festival “from 25-27. April 2019. “KeyQ ​​+ – culture and tourism as keys to quality for cross-border development of Italy and Croatia” is a project aimed at developing a unique tourism product based on common cultural and culinary heritage that connects Croatian and Italian border regions and research and discovery of tastes, smells and customs of rural areas. surround the northern Adriatic.last_img read more

Read More →

C-NS, Liverpool cross country get big league wins

first_imgEach of the Cicero-North Syracuse cross country teams would record impressive victories Wednesday afternoon in a three-team meet against Baldwinsville and West Genesee on the Bees’ home course at Durgee Junior High School.The girls meet was a lopsided affair, with the Northstars slamming B’ville and West Genesee by similar 15-50 scores as it swept each of the top seven individual spots.Kate Putman led the way, her time of 19 minutes, 13 second a full minute ahead of the 20:17 from Allison Newton, who edged out seventh-grader Gabby Putman (20:20) for that runner-up spot. R.J. Davis led them, finishing fifth in 17:37, with Zach Bergman getting sixth place in 17:47. Evan Romano worked his way to seventh place in 17:52 as Josh Koeppe was eighth in 17:55 and Matt LeClair got ninth place in 17:59.As that went on, Liverpool, who swept C-NS a week earlier at Longbranch  Park, rolled past Nottingham in a pair of 15-50 decisions.Jenna Schulz roared to a time of 19:22.6 to lead the girls Warriors, more than two minutes ahead of the 21:34.4 from Sydney Carlson. Kayleigh Buck, in 21:37 flat, was close behind Carlson as Addyson Graham was fourth in 21:57.6 and  Charlotte Warner (22:07.2) gained fifth place.Over in the boys race, Carter Rodriguez pulled away to win in 17:12.2 over the 17:38.3 from Jake Rodriguez. They pulled away from Ryan Fennelly, who finished third in 18:27.9 as Ethan Glashauser (18:50.9) and Jonathan Howland (19:20.5) followed. Ryan Gagan (19:48.4) and Matt Russo (19:56.9) also broke the 20-minute mark.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story More C-NS runners followed, Hannah Reichard getting to fourth place in 20:31 as Marissa Navarra finished fifth in 20:42. Abbee Norris ran to sixth place in 20:50 and Morgan Kingdeski was seventh in 21:14.While the boys race was a lot closer on both ends, C-NS did enough to prevail 25-36 over West Genesee and 26-35 over B’ville.Essentially, the Northstars ceded the individual race to four runners from both of its opponents, with the Bees’ Colin Delaney winning in 16:43 over the Wildcats’ Matt Bartolotta (16:53), but after B’ville and WG claimed the next two spots, C-NS swept the next five, its top pack separated by just 18 seconds at the finish line.center_img Tags: C-NScross countryliverpoollast_img read more

Read More →

Omar McLeod lowers national record at Jamaica’s national trials

first_imgJamaica’s Omar McLeod ran a blistering 110-meters on Saturday at the National Championships in Kingston, to become the new owner of the National Record.McLeod, promised he would run below 13 seconds in the final of the trials for the World Championships in London in just over a month and backed up his words with a 12.90 clocking.The holder of the record before that, Hansle Parchment, finished third in the event, running 13.19 seconds, the quickest he has gone all season.Parchment was bested by new kid on the block, Ronald Levy, who ran 13.13.Seventeen-year-old Dejour Russell, running in his first senior championships, looked ominous, going over the high hurdles in 13.32 to finish fourth, just outside of qualification spots for the World Championships.Andrew Riley, an Olympian last year, was fifth in 13.35, while another Olympian in Deuce Carter was sixth in 13.56.Rohan Cole, 13.58, Stefan Fennell, 13.87, rounded out the field.last_img read more

Read More →