Kitchen fire displaces mother daughter

first_imgA kitchen fire late Monday displaced a mother and her daughter from their apartment in Vancouver’s Sifton neighborhood.About 20 Vancouver firefighters were dispatched just after 8 p.m. to the fire at the Prairie View Apartments, 12611 N.E. 99th St.The fire was contained in less than 20 minutes, said Capt. Scott Willis, a battalion chief with the Vancouver Fire Department.No one was injured, he said.The fire reportedly started when the daughter and her friend were heating oil on the stove. Their backs were turned when the oil reached its flash point and caused flames to leap from the pan, Willis said. They tossed flour to try to quell the flames, but the fire continued to spread, he said. They then evacuated with the mother. A neighbor who heard reports of the fire went to the apartment and threw a wet blanket or towel on the fire to try to slow it down, Willis said.The fire was contained to that unit and caused no structural damage. There was about $15,000 in cosmetic and smoke damage to the apartment, Willis said.The mother and daughter were able to stay with family or friends, he said. They also were offered assistance from the Red Cross, he said.last_img read more

Read More →