Heartache as family face second Christmas without home after fire

first_imgA Donegal family is facing a second Christmas of not being able to move into their new home following a malicious arson attack last year.A young family’s newly-built home at Ballykeeran, Kilmacrennan, was gutted by a massive fire last December.A year on, they are still not yet able to repair all the damage in order to move into the house before Christmas. Up to €300,000 worth of damage was caused when the house was set alight on Sunday 16th December 2018. The home was completed up to the roof level, but the fire was so severe that it took four units of the Donegal Fire Service to extinguish the flames.The investigation remains open with Gardaí in Milford, who have renewed their appeal for witnesses and any information to catch those responsible.Anyone who may have seen anything or heard anything since the attack, which occurred between midnight and 2am on Sunday 16th December 2018, is asked to contact Milford Garda station on 074 915 3060 or the Garda confidential line on 1800 666 111.Heartache as family face second Christmas without home after fire was last modified: December 18th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

SA property firm woos US investors

first_img1 October 2013 Growthpoint Properties, South Africa’s biggest listed property company, has launched an American Depositary Receipt (ADR) programme to attract US investors. Growthpoint launched its ADR programme on the over-the-counter (OTC) market in the US on Monday through a sponsored ADR programme with BNY Mellon, giving US investors the opportunity to buy dollar-denominated shares in a South African-based diversified property company that distributes all its net rental income every half year. Each Growthpoint depositary receipt represents two ordinary shares and trades on the OTC market in the US under the symbol “GWPTY”. Growthpoint ordinary shares trade on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) under the symbol “GRT”. Growthpoint became a real estate investment trust (REIT) on 1 July. The company is the 40th largest REIT globally by market capitalisation and the largest REIT in emerging markets. Once all listed property companies and property unit trusts have converted to a REIT, South Africa is expected to have the eighth-largest REIT sector globally. Lauren de Klerk, vice-president of BNY Mellon’s depositary receipts business, said the international acceptance of the REIT structure had seen two South African property opportunities becoming available to US investors in September. “We expect more to follow, and will work closely with Growthpoint to enhance its profile and meet its objectives,” De Klerk said in a statement, adding that 34 of the JSE’s top 40 companies now had a depositary receipt (DR) programme. Growthpoint executive director Estienne de Klerk said the US market was constantly looking for investment opportunities, “so we want to make the investment in Growthpoint as accessible as possible. “As all income is distributed on a half-yearly basis, management seriously considers the capital allocation of new investments (either acquisitions or developments) and carefully evaluates whether a new investment is sufficiently yield-enhancing for Growthpoint,” De Klerk said. “The management team has proven in the past that this gives investors a better return.” De Klerk said the REIT structure would “put South Africa on the map as a choice for REIT investors and specifically REIT indices. Global REIT indices represent general trends in real estate equities worldwide, where real estate activities represent the ownership, disposal and development of income-producing real estate. It also allows small investors to obtain exposure to large commercial property.” SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Read More →

Use paper ballots for Assembly polls: NCP

first_imgNationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Jayant Patil on Monday dared the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led State government to conduct the Assembly polls on ballot instead of Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs). “In Lok Sabha you (BJP) won a massive mandate. It is being said that you will win more than 220 Assembly seats. Everyone is wondering how you won. Therefore, I dare you to hold the next Assembly elections on ballot paper instead of machines,” Mr. Patil said while initiating the discussion on an Opposition’s resolution. “If the election is held on ballot paper, the government’s real popularity will be clear,” he said, prompting uproar from the ruling benches. BJP’s Baburao Pacharne raised the point of order claiming it was NCP leader Ajit Pawar who had discarded the EVM malfunction theory. Mr. Pawar replied saying in a democracy everyone is entitled to their views and Mr. Patil’s opinion cannot be judged from his own statement outside the House. Mr. Patil appealed to Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to bring a resolution in the Assembly asking the Election Commission of India to hold elections on ballot paper. “Just like the act for Maratha reservation we will pass this resolution unanimously. It will show whom Maharashtra supports,” Mr Patil said.Earlier, Mr. Patil accused Mr. Fadnavis of aiding irregularities in the construction of Seven Eleven Hotel within the Mira-Bhayander Municipal Corporation by cutting mangroves. “The hotel has been built by destroying mangroves and the permission letter has the CMs sign. The hotel has a partnership of BJP MLA Narendra Mehta’s brother,” Mr. Patil said.He also alleged that Darshan Developers, a company which extended donations to the BJP formed four shell companies and raised loan worth ₹2,000 crore without having any project.last_img read more

Read More →

Brazil Volleyballers Sweep US

first_imgSAN DIEGO — Top-ranked Brazil swept the U.S. men’s national team in the second match of the USA Volleyball Cup on Tuesday night with both teams playing their reserves.The 25-18, 25-22, 25-22 victory comes two days after Brazil defeated the fifth-ranked United States 3-2 in Long Beach to open the four-match exhibition series between the two teams. It resumes Aug. 26 at USC’s Galen center.The United States is tuning up for the FIVB World Cup next month in Japan. The event is held every four years in advance of the Olympics, and the top two teams qualify for a spot in 2016 Rio Games.Brazil, which won the Silver Medal at the 2012 London Games, automatically qualifies for Rio as hosts. Russia is the defending Olympic champion.TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img

Read More →

Mirabelli: Aubameyang wanted to join Milan

first_imgTransfers Mirabelli claims Aubameyang wanted to join Milan Sacha Pisani Last updated 2 years ago 10:08 9/1/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Aubameyang-cropped Bongarts Transfers Milan Serie A Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga The striker wanted to move to the Serie A side, though Borussia Dortmund had other ideas according to the Milan director AC Milan director Massimiliano Mirabelli revealed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang wanted to join the big-spending Serie A club but Borussia Dortmund refused to sell.Gabon international Aubameyang was linked with a return to Milan, the club he left for Saint-Etienne in 2011, but a transfer never materialised.Instead, Milan signed Nikola Kalinic on loan from Fiorentina following the arrival of Portuguese forward Andre Silva. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina “Aubameyang is a great player. He wanted to come to Milan, but some marriages just don’t happen, for one reason or another,” said Mirabelli via a livestreamed interview.”Borussia Dortmund wouldn’t sell and that’s the way it went, but he remains a great striker.”It was a busy transfer window for Milan, who overhauled their squad with the signings of Leonardo Bonucci, Lucas Biglia, Hakan Calhanoglu, Ricardo Rodriguez, Mateo Musacchio, Andrea Conti, Franck Kessie and Fabio Borini.And Milan have made a strong start to the season, winning their opening two Serie A fixtures after qualifying for the group stage of the Europa League.ACM 7/1 to win Europa LeagueMirabelli added: “I read people say we are missing a winger and a wide midfielder, but we hope that those are the only two things we got wrong! We think we’ve done a great deal, because 11 buys are not easy.”The team needed to be assembled, so it was impossible to fill it with too many new faces. In any case, January isn’t far away, and we are ready…”The intention is to open up a new era, so it’s crucial to keep the average age of the squad right. We have medium to long-term objectives, but naturally we cannot think of repeating this transfer campaign.”We realised that we had to get in there early, thinking some might underestimate us.”last_img read more

Read More →