Upton throws in the towel over CNC

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

Battle lines are drawn in the quest to dethrone King Ken

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

Wellcome’s South Ken investment formula

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More →

Debenhams’ debutants

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

HelioSlough plans 2.3m sq ft debut shed development

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

Hooliganism between Arema, Persebaya soccer fans causes Rp 250 million losses: Authorities

first_imgThe vehicles were burned and vandalized after supporters of the two opposing sides met at Jl. Kapuas – located around 1 kilometer from the stadium. The brawls also left six people injured.“We estimate the losses from damaged vehicles and injured people to be more than Rp 200 million,” he told journalists on Thursday.Financial losses also arose from damage inflicted on rice farms and food stalls. Hakim said 25 farmers in Bendo village lodged Rp 51 million-worth of claims over the damage to 6 hectares of rice fields. Eleven food stall owners also claimed losses from supporters who ate without paying.Read also: Two injured, four motorbikes burned in soccer hooliganism between Arema, Persebaya fans Clashes between supporters of Arema Malang and Persebaya Surabaya soccer teams in Blitar, East Java, on Tuesday caused a total of Rp 250 million (US$18,275) in material losses, local authorities have revealed.Several brawls between supporters of the two rival soccer teams were reported outside the stadium during and after the semifinal round match of the East Java Governor’s Cup, which ended with Persebaya beating Arema 4-2.Blitar National and Political Unity Office (Kesbangpol) head Hakim Sisworo said a fact-finding investigation into the clashes had been completed, which revealed that the losses were mainly caused as a result of the destruction of 13 motorbikes and a car during the brawls. East Java provincial secretary Hery Cahyono announced shortly after the semifinal match that the provincial administration would compensate losses inflicted in the clashes.The soccer competition was organized by the East Java administration, in collaboration with the East Java branch of the Soccer Association of Indonesia (PSSI). The final match between Persebaya and Persija Jakarta is scheduled for Thursday at Delta Sidoarjo Stadium in Sidoarjo, East Java.Acting Blitar mayor Santoro said the administration apologized to local residents over the inconvenience and losses endured following the brawls.He went on to claim that the administration had been in a difficult position in accepting the offer to host the match, given the long rivalry between the two team’s supporters.Arema’s fans are known as “Aremania” and Persebaya’s as “Bonek”. The rivalry between the two soccer teams is heightened by both being from East Java.Such hostile rivalry forced the competition organizer to move the semifinal match from Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang to Blitar.Read also: Soccer a deadly game in IndonesiaBlitar Police chief Adj. Comr. Leonard Sinambela said the incident at Jl. Kapuas occurred because the police failed to block an Aremania group from approaching one of Bonek’s gathering points on the street.He admitted that the 1,000 security personnel deployed during the match day were far from adequate to control thousands of supporters coming to Blitar from various directions, meaning the initial plan to concentrate them in two separate venues failed.“There were some groups among the supporters egging each other on to get closer to their rivals,” he said, adding that the police had arrested one teen for possession of a bladed weapon.Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

PREMIUMLowering barriers: MRT Jakarta designates parking area for disabled users

first_imgTopics : The conveniences that most people take for granted are often unavailable to people with disabilities. Access to a parking lot, for example, can mean a lot, especially in a city where public facilities have not traditionally accommodated the needs of disabled residents.Retnowati Sibarani, 53, said it was hard for people in wheelchairs like her to travel the city. She said parking lots and public streets were often inaccessible. “The regular parking lots and some sidewalks are usually too steep, making it hard for the disabled to pass through,” she said. Retnowati expressed gratitude that city-owned MRT operator PT MRT Jakarta had officially designated a parking area for the specialized motorcycles used by disabled people at the Lebak Bulus MRT Station in South Jakarta on Thursday. She hoped it would inspire other stakeholders to provide more accessible fa… Facebook Log in with your social account Google LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Linkedin Forgot Password ? disabled people-with-disabilities MRT MRT-Jakarta public-facilitylast_img read more

Read More →

Dengue fever kills 11, infects hundreds in East Nusa Tenggara regency

first_imgThe Sikka administration has also requested 10 more doctors from the Health Ministry to help with the outbreak.Benediktus Lukas Raja, a Sikka Regional Legislative Council (DPRD) member, told The Jakarta Post that the Sikka administration had to take more serious steps to handle the outbreak.“There had been 11 dengue fever patients [who died]. We ask the administration and our friends at the Health Ministry to be more proactive,” Benediktus said.He said the dengue fever response should involve all stakeholders, including the Health Ministry, community health centers (Puskesmas), village heads, subdistrict heads, village heads and community heads.He added that the Health Agency should make a master plan to handle other possible disease outbreaks, such as malaria and filariasis.“People working in health care should not think that we have to be sick first to get treatment, instead they should think about how to minimize the number of sick people. There is no point building a luxurious health facility if the number of sick people keeps going up,” he said. (gis)Topics : Eleven people have died due to dengue fever in Sikka regency, East Nusa Tenggara, while up to 1,057 people have been infected since the beginning of the year, the Sikka Health Agency reported.Sikka Regent Robby Idong declared an Extraordinary Occurrence (KLB) in relation to the dengue outbreak in January. Sikka Health Agency acting head Petrus Herlemus, said the KLB had been extended to March 2020, the third such extension since the KLB was first announced.Petrus also said the medical team in Sikka was now on 24-hour alert to handle incoming dengue patients.last_img read more

Read More →

Dutch monarchs interested in assisting in Lake Toba tourism development, minister says

first_imgThey also visited Siambat Dalan hamlet — a traditional Batak village — where the Dutch royals were welcomed with the gondang batak traditional dance and clothed in ulos, a type of traditional fabric that is the pride of North Sumatra, by the local cultural head.In the village, the king and queen also entered hundreds-years-old wooden traditional houses that are still used by the locals, and witnessed the process of manual ulos weaving. They also enjoyed the traditional Batak tor-tor dance and engaged with local cultural figures as well as residents.From Siambat, the Dutch monarchs visited the DEL Technology Institute in Balige and later took a speedboat to visit Ecovillage Silima Lombu at Onan Runggu, Samosir Island.Read also: North Sumatra gears up to welcome Dutch royals at Lake Toba Samosir regent Rapidin Simbolon welcomed the king and queen by presenting them with ulos clothes and a traditional lute.“We hope that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima are happy to visit Samosir, although we could only give ulos and a lute. These are sincere gifts from the Samosir citizens,” Rapidin said, adding that he hoped the royals’ visit could help attract more European tourists to visit the area.North Sumatra Governor Edy Rahmayadi concurred with Rapidin, saying that the province was honored with the Dutch monarchs’ visit to Lake Toba.“With the Dutch king and queen’s visit, we hope Lake Toba will become more known to the world as a tourist destination,” Edy said, “We hope more foreign tourists are attracted and will pay a visit to Lake Toba, which subsequently will boost the local economy.” (gis)Topics : Dutch King Willem-Alexander has expressed interest in assisting in the development of Lake Toba in North Sumatra, which is among the Indonesian government’s top five destinations prioritized to boost tourism, a minister has said.The king and Queen Maxima visited the world’s largest volcanic lake and the surrounding area on Thursday as part of their itinerary during the four-day state visit to Indonesia.Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Wishnutama Kusubandio said the royal couple were very pleased to visit Lake Toba and that they had indicated an interest in helping Indonesia to develop the tourist magnet. “We will speak about the details with [Dutch] ministers. In general, the king and queen are amazed by the beauty of Lake Toba,” Wishnutama told journalists after accompanying the Dutch royals in visiting Lake Toba and its surroundings on Thursday.The minister went on to say that his office was ready to collaborate with its Dutch counterpart in various aspects, including for joint promotion to lure more tourist visits from the Netherlands, as he believed that the Dutch monarchs’ visit would have a positive impact on North Sumatra’s tourism.Read also: Indonesia, Netherlands sign US$1b worth of deals during Dutch king visitThe king and queen started their journey on Thursday by briefly visiting Singgolom Hill at Lintong Ni Huta village in Tampahan district, Toba regency, during which they took photos with Lake Toba in the background.last_img read more

Read More →

Investors question government’s transparency in handling COVID-19 crisis

first_imgInvestors are questioning the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Indonesia amid a selling spree on the domestic stock market as the country records rapid increases in the number of confirmed cases and death toll.They expect the government to take swift action in containing the novel coronavirus spread while demanding more data transparency.“The lack of a swift response from the government to the situation is what is causing investor confidence to decline right now,” Sucor Sekuritas head of business development Bernadus Wijaya told The Jakarta Post on Thursday. The government appeared to have changed gear following widespread criticism of its first response to the pneumonia-like illness. Jokowi had previously allowed his trusted Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto and several other high-ranking officials to confidently declare that the country was “immune” to the virus, disregarding the 2 million Chinese tourists who visited Indonesia annually and the lack of testing in the country.Read also: Despite low airfares, people avoid travel as fears grow amid COVID-19 outbreakMarket players, however, seemed to take the statements with a grain of salt as they steadily abandoned the domestic stock market from late February,­­­ even before the first COVID-19 case in Indonesian soil was discovered.The Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) has lost almost 35 percent of its value so far this year as it closed Thursday’s session 5.2 percent lower at 4,105.42, the lowest level since September 2013. Foreign investors have recorded a net sell of around Rp 9.46 trillion (US$597.22 million) so far this year.Anugerah Mega Investama director Hans Kwee said the lack of confidence among investors was also caused by the government’s opaque COVID-19 data revealed to the public.“Some investors, like the public, are questioning the accuracy of the government’s data on the illness’ development in the country,” he told the Post over the phone.Read also: Indonesia scrambles to contain coronavirus as most hospitals not readyEven though the government updated the COVID-19 cases daily, not all analysts are entirely confident about the data. Moreover, the government is still reluctant to release detailed history of the places that patients have visited in the days before they contracted the virus, further complicating the public’s efforts to take precautionary measures to protect their health.The lack of transparency, Hans said, was worsening the already bad situation in the capital markets. Global investors have expressed concerns that the virus spread could trigger a global recession as it disrupts business activity worldwide, including in Indonesia.Read also: ‘We don’t want people to panic’: Jokowi says on lack of transparency about COVID casesFinance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said the country’s economic growth might drop to just 4.5 percent in the first quarter, further slowing from the 4.97 percent recorded in last year’s fourth quarter.Bank Indonesia (BI) also revised down on Thursday its economic growth projection to between 4.2 and 4.6 percent this year, which would be the lowest levels since 2005. The figure is far lower than last month’s projection of between 5 and 5.4 percent.Faisal Nugraha, a 26-year old bank employee who has invested in the stock market for six years, admitted that the government’s lack of detailed information on the COVID-19 cases was what caused him to be reluctant to invest more money in the capital market.“It feels as if the government is only publishing data that will advantage them in some way, like increasing the number of cases to make the virus mortality rate decline,” he said.Read also: To buy it or not: Retail investors are torn amid volatile stock marketFaisal said he was pessimistic that the government would be able to handle the situation well and restore his confidence in the capital market.“I won’t invest my money in the capital market until the coronavirus is contained because looking at the external sentiment and the way the government is handling the issue, I’m not so sure that the capital market will recover anytime soon,” he said.Topics : The government, he went on to say, should act faster in preventing the infection spreading by testing more people for the virus to help restore investor confidence in Indonesian assets.Read also: Businesses call for transparent action in handling novel coronavirusIndonesia reported 82 new confirmed cases in a day, bringing the total infected number to 309 people as of Thursday afternoon. The fatality number, meanwhile, increased to 25.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo ordered his subordinates on Thursday to perform rapid tests for COVID-19 across the country in a bid to accelerate detection of the disease.last_img read more

Read More →