Wiser Wales waiting for Ireland

first_imgWales forwards coach Robin McBryde has told Ireland not to expect the same Welsh mistakes made in Dublin last year. Ireland ran out convincing 26-3 winners when the two teams last met at the Aviva Stadium in February 2014 but McBryde admits the Welsh management could have prepared the side better for that contest. And, with Ireland’s visit to the Millennium Stadium on March 14 shaping up to be the game that could decide the destiny of this year’s RBS 6 Nations title, McBryde insists Wales will be ready this time. “I know from a coaching point of view we looked at ourselves and weren’t happy with the way we prepared for the game that week,” McBryde reflected on Wales’ visit to Ireland 13 months ago. “We did not have the intensity in training leading up to that match and we were exposed on the day. “We weren’t pointing fingers, we were looking at ourselves as to how we could have prepared better for that game. “It was a bitter pill to swallow because we were well-beaten and it was the first time in a long time that had happened to us. “We really struggled to cope with their driving game but we’ve worked worked hard in that area and the boys showed against France what they’re capable of doing.” Wales’ 20-13 victory in Paris has revived Welsh hopes of doing what they did in 2013, namely becoming Six Nations champions after losing their first game in the tournament and they were boosted on Friday when skipper Sam Warburton and Dan Biggar returned to training after suffering knocks in France. But Ireland are three-fifths to a Grand Slam having beaten England in Dublin last weekend and McBryde accepts Wales face a big challenge to record their first win over the men in green since 2012. “They’re a very formidable outfit as they’ve proven,” McBryde said. “You’ve got to have your wits about you playing them in regards to the tactical and technical approach to the game. “But the France game was a reflection of what the players have been doing in training and some of the execution and accuracy under pressure which we we speak about constantly came to fruition. “We’ve set the standard and now we’ve got to do it again.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

Turan targets Premier League move

first_img The Turkey international has two years left on his contract with the Spanish outfit and has been strongly linked with a move away from the Vicente Calderon stadium this summer. “His intention is to leave Spain this summer,” Turan’s agent Ahmet Bulut told Spanish sports newspaper AS. Atletico Madrid midfielder Arda Turan wants a move to the Premier League this summer and has three offers from top English clubs, according to his agent. Press Associationcenter_img “His will is to leave and to play in the Premier League, that is the path he would like to take to continue his career. “We are currently in talks with three teams but I cannot reveal the names of the clubs. “However, I can tell you that they are the best in England and in European football.” Turan, who joined Atletico in the summer of 2011 from Galatasaray from 12million euro (£8.5million), helped the Rojiblancos win the Copa del Rey three years ago and La Liga title during the 2013-14 campaign. The 28-year-old scored two goals and set up four more in 32 Primera Division appearances to help Atletico finish third in La Liga this season. Turan is also a target of AC Milan and Paris St Germain. “It’s true that Milan and PSG are two of the six teams that are interested in him,” Bulut said. “But the Italian team is not among our options because they will not play in the Champions League next season. “PSG is a possibility although Arda always has the desire to play in England.” last_img read more

Read More →

Ola Aina: Finally A Bull

first_imgAfter months of speculations as to where Nigeria defender, Ola Aina will ply his trade next season, Chelsea on Wednesday confirmed that the AFCON bound defender has joined Serie A side, Torino on a permanent deal English Premier League club, Chelsea on Wednesday announced Nigeria defender Ola Aina has joined Serie A side, Torino on a permanent deal after spending last season on loan at Torino and made a huge impression at the club prompting the Italian club to trigger a buyout option in their loan agreement.“Everyone at Chelsea Football Club would like to thank Ola for his services and we wish him the best of luck for the next stage in his career,” a statement on Chelsea’s official website read in part, while Torino also posted a short message on their Social Media platforms expressing their delight on the permanent acquisition of Aina from Chelsea. The 22-year-old defender made 30 league appearances as Torino finished seventh, scoring his first goal for the club in a 1-0 win over Udinese in February.Regular playing time had been hard Ola Aina to come by with more experienced players like Cesar Azpilicueta, Marcos Alonzo and Emerson at Chelsea’s fold, culminating in a loan spell with Hull City penultimate season before another loan to Torino last season.The Chelsea loanee enjoyed a cult hero among Torino fans with his performance, prompting the Serie A club clamouring to make the loan deal permanent, but doubts were cast as to if Chelsea would want to release him permanently considering  a two transfer window ban hanging on the ‘neck’ of the London club. In January, with season at the halfway stage Aina was named the fastest player in the Italian Serie A.The official website of the Lega Calcio published infographics of the first round of the Serie A and the Chelsea loanee reached the highest speed peak calculated over a period of three seconds.The Nigerian wing-back clocked a top speed of 29.66 kilometres per hour to rank first, though Aina has to improve in the defensive phase, he is considered Nigeria’s best offensive wing-back at the moment and his strengths are his pace and acceleration, which helps him against his opponents.Aina has seen Cesar Azpilicueta consolidate his right-back position at Chelsea last term under manager Maurizio Sarri and even captaining the Blues. “The football here is very tactical. You have to concentrate a lot. They spend a lot of time on set-pieces and getting the right movement. “It has been very good so far and I’m loving it,’’ Aina said.Aina played in all but three games this season for Torino. He has low-key been one of the loan army’s success stories of the season. Despite playing most his time at Chelsea and his 2017/18 loan at Hull City on the right, he has been Torino’s starting left wing-back since opening day.Aina has done more than enough to warrant Torino executing his £10 million option to buy. Torino, who ended seventh in the Serie A table needed reinforcements for the additional coming campaign.Aina has said severally he is delighted with his new environment and the opportunity to hone his skills in Italy after he joined Walter Mazzarri’s men temporarily for the 2018-19 campaign after extending his contract with Chelsea to 2021 last month.After spending the majority of his career in England which included a season-long spell with Hull City last term, the 22-year-old highlighted differences between the two countries. “I really like Turin. It’s not as big as London, but it’s a bit more relaxed and relaxing, a bit like me. In England, we train a lot in the morning, here it’s more the afternoon. I’m getting used to it though. Everyone is adapting to me, and obviously vice-versa. My teammates have made me feel good from the beginning, I thank them because it made it much easier for me to settle in,” Aina was quoted as saying by Football Italia.“Serie A is very different from the Premier League, the football in England is more physical and fast. It’s slower here and there’s more time to think, but you need a very different, more intense, attention to tactics. That’s good for me because that’s exactly what I need to improve.“I chose Torino because of the coach Walter Mazzarri, I talked to him and I got the feeling he wanted me and wanted to help me grow. I also felt he wanted me to work for him, that I could be important for his cause. Then, of course, Torino have a great history and the Italian league is one of the best, so I couldn’t say no.”The 22-year-old believes he started brightly last season, and looks to continue to make a good impression on the first team.He said: “I have started very well this season, thanks also to my team mates and to the coach, when there are challenges I always face them openly because I believe in my potential.”He went on to praise Mazzari’s tactics and team set up, emphasising how he likes to be given the freedom to attack as well as defend.Little wonder he has suddenly become a vital part of the team. “I’ve been enjoying it so far. I’m enjoying training and the games, and all the challenges as there are some top sides here. I’m settling in just fine. My Italian was good but it’s dipped a little.” “The difference is a lot,” Ola Aina said. “The level is a lot higher, the concentration and tactical side of things are a lot higher than the Championship. For me, that is what is key for me this season. Right now, the squad are just focusing on each other, and to take each match as it comes. We want to play good football and get as many points as possible and win games. So if we can focus on this, then who knows.”Normally placed on the right side, Aina has been operating on the left, though he admitted it makes no difference where he plays.“Both right and left are the same,” Aina continued, “the only difference is you have to use your other foot. Simple really.”He was born in the London and was raised by two Nigerian parents, he was also one step away from participating in the last World Cup in Russia: he was in fact included in the preliminary list, but was not chosen in the final 23.Aina said, “I only arrived in August, but I immediately got along well with my new teammates, I tied up with Meite, Ferigra, Edera, but also with many others. “I feel at home and for this I thank them. I started this season very well thanks to my teammates and to the coach. When there are challenges I always face them openly because I believe a lot in my potential.“Chelsea allowed me to be here because they know that this is an excellent championship and an opportunity to improve even tactically, I chose Torino because I talked to the coach and he immediately made me feel important for this team, and then because this club has an important history.”The 22-year-old Chelsea Academy product is good in making short passes and is a good dribbler. He was a right winger when he first joined The Blues at U11 level before he was converted into a defender. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →

Tipp footballers focus on qualifiers.

first_imgA tally of 13 wides didn’t help the Premier County’s cause in Semple Stadium.As a beaten provincial semi-finalist Tipp will enter the qualifiers in Round 2 in early July.Manager Peter Creedon is confident his charges will be able to lift themselves for what could be a tough draw against another Division 1 side.last_img

Read More →

Tipp face Tyrone in All Ireland final tomorrow

first_imgTipperary’s Ladies Footballers are chomping at the bit ahead of tomorrows All Ireland Intermediate Final against Tyrone.Having gone through the season unbeaten so far Shane Ronayne’s charges are hoping for strong support from the Premier County in Croke Park.Templemore’s Maria Curley says the whole team is fired up for the challenge. Throw-in is at 1.45 tomorrow afternoon and Tipp FM will have live coverage the game in association with Klassy Lady Boutique Cahir. Photo © Ladies Football Facebook last_img

Read More →

President of Guyana, David Granger’s Cancer Now in Remission

first_imgCurrent President of Guyana, David Granger GEORGETOWN, Guyana, CMC – President David Granger returned to the island on Tuesday night from Cuba after having completed a scheduled medical evaluation following he had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma last year.A statement issued by the Guyana Embassy in Cuba, said that the medical specialists in Havana “have expressed complete satisfaction with the state of the President’s health and have explained that the President’s ailment is now in remission.”In keeping with the strict medical procedures of the Cuban health system, he is expected to return to Cuba for another scheduled routine medical check in January 2020. Thereafter, the next evaluation will be in June 2020,” the statement said.Prior to his return, Granger, 77, .met with the Cuban Foreign Affairs Vice-Minister, Ana Teresita Gonzalez Fraga, “who took the opportunity of discussing some aspects of Guyana-Cuba relations,” the statement said.“President Granger has iterated his gratitude to Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel Bermudez, the Government of Cuba, and the CIMEQ Medical Team which has been responsible for his treatment in Cuba, over the past months,” the statement added.Granger is expected to lead the coalition, A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), into the March 2, 2020 regional and general elections here.last_img read more

Read More →

Local law enforcement respond to a multiple vehicle accident

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisOSSINEKE,Mich.— Michigan State Police responded to a semi-truck accident Tuesday afternoon which left a chemical spill on U-S 23. According to MSP Sergeant Shane Smith, two vehicles were traveling northbound on U-S 23 in Ossineke when the first vehicle stopped to make a turn onto Piper Road.The driver of a semi–truck traveling in the same direction did not see the stopped cars which resulted in the driver crashing into both vehicles. The semi–truck driver ended up going off the road then swerving back across the center line and into a ditch on the opposite end of the road.Three tow trucks were needed to pull the semi–trailer from the ditch while a state hazmat team headed the spill clean up. No injuries were reported in the accident.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Pets of the WeekNext New online map of free WI-Fi hotspots helps residents lacking internet accesslast_img read more

Read More →

Black Queens coach delighted over increased Women’s World Cup slot for Africa

first_imgTechnical handlers of Ghana’s Women national team are raving about FIFA’s decision to increase the number of slots for Africa at the World Cup.FIFA has increased the number of participating countries from sixteen to twenty-four.This means the top three in the 2014 African Women’s Championship in Namibia will represent the continent in Canada for the FIFA 2015 Women’s World Cup.Since 1991, Africa has had two representatives at the women’s version.“This decision is long overdue,” Black Queens coach Kuuku Dadzie told Joy Sports.“It is very good news for Africa because women’s football in Africa is growing and it’s high time FIFA saw this and gave Africa more space in the world cup. “So I believe it’s good news for Africa and for that matter Ghana because we are third in Africa at the moment.“And if we are third best in Africa and FIFA is giving us three slots, it means that if we work hard, we will go to the world cup.”last_img read more

Read More →

NFL Draft 2020 to go on as scheduled, Roger Goodell tells teams

first_img“Everyone recognizes that public health conditions are highly uncertain and there is no assurance that we can select a different date and be confident that conditions will be significantly more favorable than they are today,” Goodell wrote in the memo, as reported by NFL.com.NFL DRAFT 2020:SN’s prospect big board | Complete list of picks The league had already canceled public events around the draft, which was to be held in Las Vegas, the new home of the Raiders. Teams will now draft remotely.”All clubs should now be doing the necessary planning to conduct Draft operations in a location outside of your facility, with a limited number of people present, and with sufficient technology resources to allow you to communicate internally, with other clubs, and with Draft headquarters,” Goodell wrote.The league reached a similar conclusion in mid-March when it decided to start the 2020 league year on time. Free agents were allowed to negotiate with teams and agree to contracts, subject to physical exams. The transactions gave the NFL a monopoly on media coverage while all the other U.S. professional leagues remained on hiatus because of the coronavirus emergency. The 2020 NFL Draft will take place as scheduled from April 23-25, commissioner Roger Goodell told teams in a memo Thursday.Goodell said the Commissioner’s Executive Committee, which met earlier in the day, was unanimous in not rescheduling the draft because of the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic.last_img read more

Read More →

Broward man charged for killing peeping tom outside girlfriend’s home

first_imgA Florida man was charged with manslaughter for fatally beating a peeping tom who had been watching him, and his girlfriend have sex through a window.Victor Vickery was charged Thursday in connection with the July 2018 death of 57-year-old Assad Akar.The 30-year-old and his girlfriend were in bed at her house when they heard a sound, which they’ve reportedly heard before.Vickery went outside and found Akar, who had a criminal record for peeping.Shortly after, a fight ensued, and Vickery’s girlfriend called 911.Vickery told Fort Lauderdale police that he punched and kicked Akar “a few times” in response to being attacked.Akar died at the hospital later that evening.Vickery is currently in jail on a $100,000 bond.He is also charged with sexual battery in a separate incident that occurred a month after Akar’s death.last_img read more

Read More →